Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

St. Jhon's/Tipton end game short on Frankfort loss

St. John’s/Tipton Blujays traveled to Frankfort to play a new opponent on the football field in the form of the Frankfort Wildcats. The Wildcats entered the game undefeated at 5-0, and are ranked fourth in the state. The long trip makes playing a quality team that much harder. Not only that the Jays are shorthanded because of injuries which made the challenge that much more daunting. The Wildcats also had an advantage in numbers as they dressed 19 for the game.

Despite the advantages held by the Wildcats, the Blujays made a game of it for a half as they only trailed by two points at halftime. The key to the Blujays success so far this season has been there advantage in turnovers. In the midpoint of the third quarter, the advantage that the Jays enjoyed in turnovers this season went against them. They lost the ball several times in the last quarter and a half, both by the fumble and the interception. The Wildcats took advantage of those turnovers on their way to a 60-14 victory over the Jays as the game ended with 3:09 left in the fourth quarter.

The game started with the Wildcats receiving the opening kickoff. Their first possession gave an indication of what they wanted to do during the game. They used their ground game to grind their way down the field starting from their 20 yard line. They used 11 plays, all on the ground to march down the field. On the 11th play they scored on a 15 yard run off their left side with 5:37 left in the first quarter. Their extra point attempt was successful, making the score 8-0 Wildcats.

The Jays returned the ensuing kickoff to the 20 yard line. Runs by Brayden Perez and Kail Dubbert got them a first down at the 30. Dubbert then took a handoff off his right side and ran the length of the field for a 50 yard touchdown. The pass attempt for the extra point was incomplete and the score stood 8-6 favor the Wildcats 4:37 left in the first quarter.

On their next possession Wildcats started from the 15 yard line. This time they needed 10 plays to score. All 10 were running plays with the first nine using all the time left in the first quarter. On the first play of the second quarter they scored when their fullback ran off the right side for a 10 yard touchdown. The extra point attempt was successful in their lead was now 16-6 with 11:54 left in the first half.

The teams then traded possessions until the Jays got the ball back on downs at their 25 yard line. On first down Perez ran around his right side for a 30 yard gain, putting the ball on the wildcat 25 yard line. Three runs by the Jays moved the ball to the Wildcats 14 yard line. A penalty by the Jays move the ball back to the 25 yard line. There the Jays faced a fourth down when quarterback Alex Ketter found end Timmy Greenwood, deep in the end zone. The defender tipped the ball but Greenwood looked at into his hands and caught it for a 25 yard touchdown. Perez’s run for the extra point made to score 16-14 Wildcats with 2:19 left in the half. That would be the halftime score.

St. John’s/Tipton received the second half kickoff. They were moving the ball when the turnover bug struck as they lost a fumble. The Wildcats again put together another drive. They used nine plays, eight of them runs to march down the field. They scored on a 9 yard run with 7:04 left in the third quarter. The extra point attempt failed in their lead now stood 22-14.

The Jays returned the ensuing kickoff to the 21 yard line. The turnover bug bit again on the first play as they fumbled the ball that was recovered by the Wildcats at the 13 yard line. This time with a short field they only needed three plays to score. Their fullback ran off his right side for 7 yard touchdown run with 5:43 left in the third quarter. Their pass attempt for the extra point was good, making the score 30-14 in favor of the Wildcats.

On the Jays next possession, they were unable to move the ball and were forced to punt. The Wildcats got the ball on their 23 yard line. Once again, they relied on their ground game to move the ball. They faced a fourth down and two to go and they converted the fourth down play with an 8 yard gain. It took them four more plays before they scored on a 15 yard run off the right side on the first play of the fourth quarter. The successful extra point attempt made to score 38-14.

On the Jays first possession of the fourth quarter, they had moved the ball to the 20 yard line of the Wildcats. Once again the turnover bug in the form of an interception bit them. On this possession, the Wildcats actually threw the ball twice and ran three times. They scored on a 31 yard touchdown run by their halfback with 7:50 left in the fourth quarter. Their pass for the extra point was good, making the score 46-14.

On the Jays next possession, they turned the ball over on downs at their 29 yard line. The Wildcats again used their ground game, running the ball four times. The last time was for an 18 yard touchdown with 4:17 left on the clock in the fourth quarter. The extra point attempt failed and the score stood 52-14 favor the Wildcats..

The Jays received the kickoff for what would be their final possession and returned it to the 25 yard line. On the third and 10, they attempted to pass and once again the turnover bug bit as their pass was intercepted by the Wildcats, who returned the interception to the one-yard line. On first down, they scored on a running play with 3:09 left in the game. The successful extra point pass play ended the game with the Wildcats winning 60-14.

“We came out and played extremely well the first half and we were very physical the whole game,” said Coach Keith Kresin. “Defensively we took care of our assignments throughout the game, but the difference was in the first half we were aggressive to the ball and making big plays. In the second half, we just weren’t attacking the runner and we were sitting back on our heels. We also missed quite a few tackles as the kids were in the right spots, but just didn’t finish the tackle. Offensively we got better in the passing game and we did some nice things in the running game. But, as they started sending more pressure we started having a tough time as they controlled the line of scrimmage in the last quarter and a half. We had some miscues, but I don’t think the score indicates how well we did play. I did see a lot of improvement with all the young men.”

St. John’s/Tipton rushed the ball 23 times for 120 yards. Kail Dubbert led the running backs with 11 carries for 69 yards 1 TD. Brayden Perez carried six times for 54 yards. Alex Ketter had -3 yards on six carries, but that included sacks. Ketter completed 7 passes in 17 attempts for 63 yards, 1 TD. Timmy Greenwood was the leading receiver with 3 catches for 33 yards, 1 TD. Kail Dubbert had 2 receptions for 13 yards, Brayden Perez had 1 catch for 12 yards, and Eric Keoningsman had 1 catch for 5 yards.

Kail Dubbert led the Jays with 15 tackles and 3 assists. Eric Keoningsman 3 tackles 11 assists; Brayden Perez 6 tackles 6 assists; Blake Perez 6 tackles 4 assists. Alex Ketter 3 tackles 5 assist; Dalton Schmitt 1 tackle 7 assists; Ben Townern4 tackles 1 assist 1 FR; Timmy Greenwood 1 tackle 2 assists; Jaret Eitzmann and Hayden Griffin each 1 assist.

The loss drops the Blujays record to 4-2. St. John’s/ Tipton’s next game is Friday, October 12 at St. John’s O’Brien field. This will be the Blujays homecoming. The Jays opponent will be the Lakeside Knights.

Beloit Call

P.O. Box 309, Concordia, Ks. 66901

Phone: 785-738-3537